Slideshow

Troy Kirby

Monday, April 25, 2011

Flush the distractions, start writing

I got a little distracted today. Take that back, I got a lot of distraction today. It ruled my life, confused my mind and made me near catatonic to writing. One of those types of multiple work issues which overwhelm your life for the time that the employer owns it. By the time I left for work, I noticed that I had not written any of my 5,000 words today. See, it's that ritual that you break that soon becomes a wrong-headed habit. At least, that's my saying. Yeah, I just made it up. Learn to deal.

There are a lot of challenges to writing. Several of them transform into life issues. The kids you have, the job you work, everything else. I had five major issues that ruled my life today. My old job still had my retirement account (not rolled over, about to expire). The light company sent me a second notice that I had not paid my bill of $44.79 (which I had, using their online billing system and had proof through Chase) which took time. I had two meetings with key people at work. Neither was bad, but it drained me of time. And then finally, I had to deal with a friend who needed me to listen to them as they went through a job issue.,

All of this amounts to the 225 words I have written to this point. Make that 240 words.

That's not what I signed up for. I was supposed to hit 5,000 words each night. And looking at 4 p.m. Pacific, it looks like either write my ass off or sit there with about a thousand words in the bank, and totally break down because I failed myself. And really, at the end of the day, it's about failing yourself if you don't hit your goals.

I have two short stories which I could have worked on. I haven't up to this point.

I could have worked on the novel which is a follow-up to Crunk and about ready to really be cut down to be sent off to my personal editor for review (as well as my friends, who read my stories to ensure they do not suck).

I could have worked on two or three novel outlines of potential works that I haven't started yet, but have firm ideas where they are headed.

Right now, I'm at 403 words. That's not a good start, but I'm going to keep writing as long as I can until I get to 5,000. See, the point is that the task is daunting when you allow it to be. I could worry about my car payment, or the fact that my truck still has issues with its last tuneup, or do a lot of other things that could keep my mind influx. Or I can flush it.

That's my term for it. You just flush everything, get selfish and start writing.

Some of you reading this have children. You have jobs. You have life issues like that crazy ex that keeps texting you.

My advice is for you to be selfish (to a point). Feed the kids, get off work, and turn off the damn phone (and file a restraining order against the crazy ex because that's not good if they keep texting you).

Writing is an internal, highly focused activity. I can have the Stanley Cup playoffs in the background, but damn it, if I'm serious about this, I won't give it more than a few glances (boy, Pittsburgh is in trouble with Sidney Crosby).

5,000 words doesn't mean just to ramble and write a bunch of all-work-and-no-play-makes-jack-a-dull-boy nonsense. It means really focusing on something, giving it your all, and cranking out every idea in your toolbox in order to improve your writing overall. The more you get out of you, the better you will be at it. That's why baseball players do batting practice, football players perform grueling minicamps (or did until the lockout) or why hockey players slapshot the goalie 45 minutes prior to the drop of the puck. You can never have enough practice, and as long as it is focused on your goals, it isn't a waste.

Quick side note - I knew a community college basketball team that practiced every day. But they didn't do anything in terms of play creation and it reminded people of open gym efforts. When they played games, they didn't win, because none of them had the focus or knew the play development as well as the other team. They were still loose, trying to perform at a pick-up game level. Those teams never win and I've seen a lot of them in my time.

Right now, it's 801 words that I've written. That means I have less than 4,200 words to go in order to make my goal, to be happy, and to prevent apathy or atrophy of my writing skills. There are a lot of people who are sitting in front of a computer at this moment, either reading this while delaying their own writing or still finding distractions while a blank screen with a blinking cursor dares them to do something.

Again, I used the old communication professor comment that our radio students received when they didn't give a great effort. 'If that's all you've got, I could get a diesel tech program student to do it.' Sounds harsh, but seriously, shouldn't a little tough love be a good thing? Dr. Laura had her time in the sun, too bad she decided to become a political mouth-piece rather than a person with actual values.

So, you are waiting for this blog entry to end. While eating that bran muffin or doing this quirky things in order to ensure that you are ready to start writing. Are you beginning to write or kidding yourself? How many of your 5,000 words are in? I'm only 4,000 away.

No comments:

Post a Comment