Slideshow

Troy Kirby

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tear it apart, damn it...

Some of the people reading this blog have asked me what do I use as a device to ensure that my ideas become clear to the reader.

I have Andrew Ouellette. Not a device, but a stand-up comedian.

He helped out a lot with the formations of the Crunk storyline. In one of the upcoming novels I am writing, I based a character on Andrew. In terms of Crunk, he told me what worked, what didn't, because I asked him to read it and tear it apart. Andrew is very good at tearing things down. Here is some of his stand-up comedy.


Andrew also writes articles for Whiskey & Skittles.

As an exercise, you should have someone who is willing to tear apart your work read it, then give you feedback.

Your friends will want to be non-offensive. My grandmother would never be a good critic, even when I have done something wrong, she thinks I am correct. Yes, even now.

But as a writer, I would encourage you to find that person(s) to tear apart your work. It is the only way you can improve upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment