Slideshow

Troy Kirby

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Writing Naps


Exhaustion plays tricks on me when I attempt to write after not getting much sleep. While I enjoy hanging out in my friends, the most I do so and stay up late, I find the less likely the next day will provide me with a lot of good ideas or words to write about. I imagine my brain is asleep while the body functions on auto pilot.

These are some of the demands of a writer. You have to be able to know what works for you and what doesn’t. While it has not affected long-term writing, short-term has not always been good. Especially around the weekends when you have a lot of late night hours to pull, and bars to close. And trust me, closing a bar gets less fun the longer you are alive. Mainly due to the fact that the older you get, the more often you need a nap.

I have a large real world job commitment that takes all day. Thus, this blog post is extremely short. However, I told myself I would write a post every day. I have kept that promise, sometimes adding two or three more posts per day to continue it going. The 5,000 word regiment is still working, but when you are exhausted, it is extremely tough by comparison of when you are fully rested. With that, I am glad that the NFL draft is picking some of my personal favorite student-athletes. And the Vancouver Canucks look to go up 2-0 on the Nashville Predators in the hunt for Lord Stanley’s Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment