Slideshow

Troy Kirby

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dive Bars & Seattle

And now for something completely different.

I read this article on the web, it is from 2009 but I just found it. The subject is how to start a dive bar. http://www.chow.com/food-news/55052/how-to-start-your-own-dive-bar

Now, I've always wanted to run a dive bar. Basically because I would have somewhere to go to watch the damn game, but still claim that I was working with a bloody mary in front of me 10 a.m. on a Thursday during March Madness.

This guide, while possibly tongue-in-cheek, has some good creditable points to make.

I think this lists about half of the bars that I've been to. Especially The Zoo in Seattle.

If you haven't been to The Zoo and won a stupid prize like tickets to a defunct play while eating popcorn (They had it before The Viking in Spokane - FYI), then you haven't experienced a dive bar.

While I am sure the ones in New York are choice, they also have the problem of going out of style because of the high real estate. Not that Greg Nickels and all of his "condo" vision of the city of Seattle.

One person told me of a visit to Maxwell House in Spokane, which I haven't been to but I now will. She asked to see a menu, they said "it's on the white board out front."

No comments:

Post a Comment