Slideshow

Troy Kirby

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The first battle with age

I've been considering shaving my head because my hair appears in full retreat. Yes, that is a comic bit from someone else (likely) but it is true, my hair is not what it used to be. I tried combing it every way but back today which was useless. My hair loves being combed back. I've done it since I was a kid. Mainly because it was easy to manage.

It's easy to manage now, since its starting to thin.

Part of age, I guess. But still, it reminds me of how short life has been from youth to adulthood to middle age.

It's also interesting how the women I am interested in change. While a 23-year-old girl may be what most men desire, frankly, every conversation I've had with one bores me. Look, I understand that with a 23-year-old woman, you are likely not to be talking a lot.

Maybe that's the sign of middle age. Where you look forward to learning about someone more than about their physical attributes.

Every women I've met, I ask myself what I can learn from this person. Whether or not she would bore me in two, maybe three months, let alone a year or two.

Some people don't look for that in person. But I'm one of those people who wants to know a person. Inside and out, because it's important for me to understand who they are. Especially after the physical attributes fail, and my hair is all gone.

The hair thing shouldn't be happening. Much like the gut that I do nothing about. It shouldn't be happening because when I was young, I could grow tons of hair and eat whatever I wanted. Now, I have to manage both as if they are a bunch of drunken 2-year-olds.

You don't know where they are going. Except that it doesn't appear good long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment