Slideshow

Troy Kirby

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Experiencing Life to help your writing

Vacation is something you have to do sometimes. I never really get into the spirit of it, until I'm on the plane. It's weird, because I don't really think in advance that I am going. But I get fend up with things, need a break, and just go.

I did that last year when I went to New York. I had never been, and wasn't considering it until I decided to attend a conference. After I got on the plane and had a six hour ride with a connection to Minneapolis, I arrived in New York and just felt that it was best to look around. With seven days in The Big Apple, I saw just about everything. Went everywhere. Did a lot of things which ended up exploring myself, who I am as a person.

It's interesting to feel that your vacation has turned into an internal perspective.

I ended up going to Chicago on a whim a few weeks later for a shorter vacation. It was fun also, because it was something I had never considered before.

This year, Vegas is the plan. Yes, I've been before, but this should be fun. I don't think the wolf pack will be back (i.e. The Hangover) but at least, I should be able to commit 5 felonies and 13 misdemeanors. HA!

These experiences make my writing interesting, because I met so many characters, have incidences which change me, and are something that keeps everything fresh.

I would encourage it to any writer who wants to keep their writing fresh. Be something other than that person you are 51 weeks out of the year, do a week where you can be anyone and everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment